The safety and wellness of our workforce is taken very seriously at R. J. Grondin & Sons. We have a strong commitment to providing a safe work place for all of our employees. Our preventive approach provides a safe working environment at our job sites, which keeps projects running smoothly and efficiently, while keeping insurance costs low. We belong to a self insured Worker Comp group and our Experience Modification Factor has been well below the industry average over the past decade.
When a new employee starts at R. J. Grondin & Sons, they can expect to spend their entire first day going through a hands-on orientation program. The first day on the job is a vital opportunity to ensure that employees are familiar with all company policies and procedures, as well as proper selection of personal protective equipment, use and care of hand and power tools, and job site expectations.
Our current workforce has commented in response to our Safety Orientation, “New workers are arriving on site, prepared to go to work, safety conscious and productive, day one”.
Safety and training doesn’t stop there. In addition to our orientation program for new employees, workers receive hands-on training in the field. Many of our workers are OSHA 10 and 30 hour trained. Other training includes Work Zone Safety and Awareness, Trenching and Excavation, Defensive Driving, Confined Space, Flagger Certification, and MSHA training for employees working in our pits and quarries.
We have a core of employees trained and certified in compliance with OSHA 1910.120 for hazardous waste operations. We are prepared to immediately deal with any situation that may arise at a job site. There are many other training sessions held through out the season that deal with site specific tasks.
We provide a company wide safety incentive plan which is merit based on individual performance, directed at the goal of zero work place injuries.
Our employees are chosen to provide a Weekly Job Site Safety observation from their Site, identifying potential hazards, and how to take corrective action to avoid accidents. We receive some very good input from the field with these observations. This information is shared with the entire company in the form of a weekly pay check stuffer.
R. J. Grondin & Sons will always do our utmost to protect and care for the most valuable asset of the Company, our employees.
Recognition and Awards
We have been recognized by our peers for our commitment to providing a safe workplace. The following is a brief overview of several awards we have recently received.
- 2017 – AGC Maine, Build Maine Award, Heavy/Highway Division – Route 1 Ogunquit
- 2015 – AGC of America 2015 Construction Safety Excellence Award
- 2014 – ABC STEP Safety Award, Platinum Level
- 2014 – AGC of America 2014 Construction Safety Excellence Award
- 2012 – ABC National Safety Merit Award
- 2011 – ABC STEP Safety Award, Gold Level
- 2010 – ABC STEP Safety Award, Platinum Level
- 2010 – AGC Maine, Build Maine Award, Heavy/Highway Division – Maine Mall Road
- 2009 – AGC of America 2010 Construction Safety Excellence Award
- 2009 – ABC National Safety Excellence Award Finalist
- 2009 – AGC Maine, Build Maine Award, Specialty/Subcontractor Division – Cabela’s